2013年11月18日星期一

Adam Scott eyes Augusta win after taking out first Australian Masters title

Yesterday, within minutes of pulling it on after one of the most complete and compelling fourround performances of his career, the world No.5's focus switched to the green jacket on offer at Augusta in April.

For the man who's now unquestionably Australia's preeminent golfer, that green China Group Tours and gold combination is the next order of business.

"It's pretty awesome to be able to slip this jacket on . . . maybe I can set the theme of winning jackets and turn it green next year before I come back to defend," Scott, 32, beamed.

The Queenslander fought tooth and nail with runnerup Ian Poulter for the closing 36 holes at Kingston Heath as they left the field in their wake with a devastating shotmaking display.


Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

That Scott's win came against arguably the world's most respected matchplay exponent was superb.

That he managed the feat in front of a heaving home crowd when Poulter was at the top of his game made it even sweeter.

The pair, who played together all weekend, combined for an almost incomprehensible 25 birdies in 27 holes from the start of the third round until the turn yesterday.

Scott made a crucial 4m parsaving putt on the par3 11th hole, but it was only after a series of errors up the Private China Tours 12th hole  the first of the Englishman's three backnine bogeys  that the Aussie turned the screws.

"It was great to be a part of it. The way Ian and I played the last two days was the highest standard of golf there is," Scott said.

"You could have brought anyone down here and they would have had to be on their game to play that way.

"For me to have it out with a worldclass player and to come out on top is very satisfying  but I can't tell you how good we both played the last two days. It was really a high level of golf."

Remarkably, it kept alive his streak of having won a tournament every year since 2001  a streak that had seemingly been in danger with just the Masters and the Australian Open left this year.

Scott denied suggestions the win was sweeter after he let slip the British Open in July, where he led with four holes to play.

"I haven't been dwelling on what happened at the Open at all, I put that out of my head in the week afterwards," he said.

"I had to, otherwise you'd never come back to a golf course, would you? It's kind of painful.

"I felt good out there. I just had to trust that all the work that I'd put into my game was going to hold up and to not get in my own way is the big thing.

"Not (to) have thoughts of what happened at the Open or any other negative thoughts come into play  that's just part of the mental side of this game."

没有评论:

发表评论